Thursday, May 2, 2024

And What have you done with my Body, God?

 



Swiss Adam’s post from last Thursday 


http://baggingarea.blogspot.com/2024/05/moments.html


made me pull „Moments in Love“ from the record shelf again. This immortal Art of Noise track was released as a single in 1985, but was also included on the EP "Into Battle..." (1983) and the LP "Who's afraid of ...." (1984). It's a track that doesn't need reminding, as it plays pretty reliably in a variety of tracklists in this household. But studying the vinyl again takes you back to the times when you sat on the floor with your back against the couch and just LISTENED. Essentially everything has probably been said about this track, only personal stories can add something to the narrative. I don't have any for that. The track was just there at some point & never left me again and never became too much for me.


These anecdotes from “And what have you done with my Body, God?” published in 2006 would be my contribution to this story today:



„The thing with 'Moments in Love' is that it only ever works when it's very, very long. I've spent so much time trying to shorten this to some kind of three and a half/four minute version and it never works because it just has to keep going round that sequence, which is a nine bar sequence I'd like to point out to everybody! It's not an eight bar sequence, it's only an eight bar sequence once we get past "the middle section.“


„Thereza Bazar from Dollar was convinced that, because we did this after 'Give Me Back My Heart', which was the big Dollar ballad that I did with Trevor, where I got these multi-track voices like 10cc's 'I'm Not in Love' of Thereza going 'Aaahh' and all these chords and everything, she was convinced that we'd sampled her and she was the voice on „Moments in Love“. But it's not true.

A lot of those breathing sounds was Dollar mutating into Faust. Originally Thereza Bazar was going to be the singer in the Art of Noise and I had the photo session set up with Sheila Rock and we were going to build a series of metal spikes, a contraption that Thereza Bazar would have to get inside and these metal spikes would very, very gently pierce the surface of her skin. She had a manager at the time, Bud Preager who also managed Foreigner, and I went in to meet Bud Praeger and I told him about my ideas and he left forthwith and Thereza Bazar did not sign to ZTT. I think he thought I was some kind of terrorist! Thereza Bazar was going to be the lead singer in some kind of surreal fantasy Krautrock band. And it would have been spectacular.“

  • AON -


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dynamic Curve

  Another Ed Ball post today to keep the thread going. The World Wide Web doesn't provide much information (anymore) if you want to find...